LEMON AND POPPY SEED CHEESECAKE
Serves: Makes one bread tin
Difficulty: Little effort
Preparation time: 3 hours
Cooking time: 20 min
For the sponge
- 7 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 310 grams melted butter
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 5 lemon zests
- juice of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. In a large standing mixer combine the eggs, sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and fold into the creamed eggs mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Combine the melted butter, olive oil and add to the eggs and flour mixture. Mix until smooth. Add the poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice and combine well.
- Spray a baking tray with baking spray and pour the batter into the tin. Bake for 25 minutes or until when tested with a needle the batter is cooked and golden brown. Once cooled Carefully remove from the pan.
- Depending on the height of your sponge trim the top until even with a large bread knife or use a string to cut into a perfect flat shape. Set aside.
For the Cheesecake
- 300 grams Speculoos biscuits (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 lemon zests
- 1 cm of grated fresh ginger
- 125g melted butter
- 200 grams cream
- 500g cream cheese
- 200g condensed milk
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 100g icing sugar
- 7 sheets gelatine, soaked in cold water and drained.
- Prepare a medium size bread tin with wax paper on the sides and spray with non stick spray.
- Mix the biscuits, sugar, lemon zest, grated ginger and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. Push a thin layer in the base of the pan evenly spread and place in the refrigerator. Reserve the rest at room temperature.
- In a standing mixer using the whisk fitting mix the cream until thick, add the cream cheese and whisk until there is no lumps on a medium speed for 10 minutes.
- Combine the condensed milk, lemon juice, vanilla and icing sugar into the large bowl and whisk lightly. In a small saucepan warm the gelatine with some of the left over water and melt down until smooth, do not boil. Add the gelatine mixture to the cream cheese and cream and whisk for another 2/3 minutes. Be careful that the consistency don’t get over mixed and separate.
- Pour a small amount of the cream cheese filling into the pan on top of the crumble and place back into the refrigerator to set for 20 minutes. The layer with the sponge, cream cheese filling and lastly a biscuit crumb. Make sure the cheese filling is semi hard before proceeding with the stacking. To serve roast a few lemons on a griddle pan until they caramelised and served with dollops of caramel and toasted coconut.