SPICED PUMPKIN TART WITH PISTACHIO + CHOCOLATE CRUST
Pumpkins used to be in surplus during winter months on our farm. This version of the famous pumpkin pie was a great childhood favourite. The chocolate and pistachio crust comes from a bakery in the town of San Remo, Italy, which I just had to re-create. Together they work beautifully!
By Jan-Hendrik van der Westhuizen
SPICED PUMPKIN TART WITH ROASTED PISTACHIO AND CHOCOLATE CRUST
Recipe from “THE FRENCH AFFAIR” – Tables of Love by Jan Hendrik van der Westhuizen
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, oven roasted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place the sugar and pistachios in a food processor and pulverise until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, salt and butter and pulse until combined.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a tart pan of 30cm in diameter and bake for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 7 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Mix the pumpkin puree with the rum, egg yolks, brown sugar, creme fraiche, syrup, flour, vanilla, lemon juice and spices.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a microwave bowl, stirring continuously. Spread the chocolate over the cooled crust, leaving a 1 cm border all the way around the edges to prevent the chocolate from burning during the baking process.
- Fill the tart pan with the pumpkin filling and smooth the top. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the centre has set.
Originally published 25 July 2013