MY MOTHER'S MARSHMALLOW CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE
This is the kind of recipe that you never need to write down – you’ll be reminded of it every time you walk down the chocolate aisle and, for some reason, you’ll always have the ingredients in your kitchen.
By Jan-Hendrik van der Westhuizen
MY MOTHER’S MARSHMALLOW CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces (optional to use 1 dark and 1 milk chocolate)
- 300 g pack pink and white Marshmallows
- 2 x 220ml cans evaporated milk (one can chilled)
- Break the chocolate into pieces and put into a large glass bowl with the marshmallows.
- Pour one can evaporated milk over the mixture and microwave at a medium heat stirring every 2-3 minutes so the chocolate does not burn.
- Keep heating until the chocolate has melted and the combination is a smooth liquid. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the chilled can evaporated milk until frothy and stiff.
- Using a metal spoon, fold the melted chocolate and marshmallows into the beaten, evaporated milk. Make sure not to over-mix, as it needs to create a top layer which is light and fluffy.
- Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
Originally published 18 April 2013