GATEAU AUX NECTARINES ET AMANDES (Nectarine and Almond Cake)
Between now and the end of August I am going to do a lot of peaches, nectarines, apricots and all fruits soft and sweet, not because it is season for these beautiful little ones, but they intrigue me with their blush cheeks and soft skins. The beauty of this recipe “Nectarine and almond cake” is the moist tangy flavour combined with the ever so classic vanilla cake. It takes 10 minutes to put together and with a dusting of icing sugar you cannot go wrong!
By Jan-Hendrik van der Westhuizen
GÂTEAU AUX NECTARINES ET AMANDES (NECTARINE AND ALMOND CAKE)
Preparation: 10 minutes
Bake: 1 hour
- 900g Nectarines
- 3 eggs
- 125 ml milk
- 40 g butter, and a little extra for buttering the dish
- 300g cake flour
- 300g icing sugar
- 50g almonds (chopped roughly)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease and line a 20cm round baking tin with butter and baking paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, milk, sugar, flour, baking powder and vanilla until it forms a batter.
- Rinse the nectarines, and cut into chunks. Place nectarine chunks in pan, then pour the batter over the nectarines and sprinkle with the almonds.
- Slice the butter into small pieces and arrange on top of the almonds and batter.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool down before refrigerating for at least 1 hour.
Originally published 15 July 2013